Re: Re: Solve / NSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95378] Re: [mg95348] Re: Solve / NSolve
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 05:27:59 -0500 (EST)

Actually, the problem in your original example has virtually nothing
to do with the difference between NSolve and Solve. In fact, NSolve is
not used in your example at all. The reason is that when you call
NSolve with equations involving parameters all it does is to refer
your equations to Solve and then apply N. Just compare:

Solve[{f[1, 2, 1/2, 4/5, t], df[1, 2, 1/2, 4/5, t]}, {x, y}] // N

with

NSolve[{f[1, 2, 1/2, 4/5, t], df[1, 2, 1/2, 4/5, t]}, {x, y}]

where f is the function in your original post. You will see that you
get essentially the same answer arranged in a somewhat different way.
So the difference between your final answers derives from the order in
which N and and Power Expand Simplify are applied. In the first case
you perform algebraic operations first and apply N last, in the second
case you apply N before algebraic operations. The second approach is
definitely not the thing to do, since once you expression is no longer
exact algebraic transformations cannot be performed exactly.

In your second case there are no parameters and Solve and NSolve use
different algorithms. Solve rationalizes the equations and uses exact
GroebnerBasis, NSolve uses numerical Groebner basis. The first
approach is faster in this case but the second approach shoudl be more
reliable in cases involving numerical instability.

Andrzej Kozlowski