data // MapOnColumn[f, 2]
{{a, f[b]}, {c, f[d]}}

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: D. Grady [mailto:D.C.Grady at gmail.com]

Hi, suppose we've got a matrix

data = {{a, b}, {c, d}};

and we want to map a function onto just the second column, so we want
to end up with

The best way I've found to do this is with MapAt:

MapAt[f, data, Table[{i, 2}, {i, Length@data}]]

Is there a better way?  I keep hoping there's some notation similar to
what's used in Part that lets you refer to a whole column with All,
like data[[All,2]].  Thanks!

-Daniel