Re: Re: 0^0 = 1?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95724] Re: [mg95683] Re: 0^0 = 1?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:48:07 -0500 (EST)

Let me repeat in a much more explicit form what I implied in an earlier
post about 0^0:  there are several possible definitions, each defensible
from a certain starting point.  Therefore there is NO single acceptable
definition.

The arguments being exchanged about this are essentially pointless,
except to elucidate what those various starting points are and what each
implies about 0^0.  None of them leads to a definitive conclusion about
this or that being the value of 0^0.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305