Re: Destructuring arguments to pure functions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95756] Re: Destructuring arguments to pure functions?
  • From: dreeves <dreeves at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:03:07 -0500 (EST)

I'm curious what you all think of this idea:

Unprotect[Integer];
1[x_] := x[[1]]
2[x_] := x[[2]]
3[x_] := x[[3]]
4[x_] := x[[4]]
5[x_] := x[[5]]
6[x_] := x[[6]]
7[x_] := x[[7]]
8[x_] := x[[8]]
Protect[Integer];

and then

1@# + 2@# & /@ testList

It seems to be very slow in the current version of Mathematica but it
seems like a concise/elegant way to avoid the clunky yet oft-typed #
[[n]] (ie, replacing it with n@# or n[#]).

Perhaps more generally, other sensible behavior could be defined for
expressions with non-symbols as the Head for which the meaning is
currently undefined.