Re: Looping

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg95896] Re: Looping
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 05:56:32 -0500 (EST)

Jeff Albert wrote:
> I have a program written in Mathematica that has been running now for about three days.  How can I tell if it's in a loop?
The best approach is to start small, and work your way up to a big
problem like that if necessary. Start by aborting the calculation and
then start testing much smaller examples.

Some Mathematica functions - such as Simplify or FullSymplify - seem to
get stuck in this sort of way - if they do that, they will hang for ever.

David Bailey