Re: stirring chocolate pudding backwards: identifying coordinates

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101321] Re: stirring chocolate pudding backwards: identifying coordinates
  • From: Andreas <aagas at ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:34:41 -0400 (EDT)

Ray,

Thx for the input.  I've started working through your solution for my first question -- the point associated with the highest value at each interval -- and it makes sense to me, so far.  I may have further questions about it as I push my way through it, but it looks spot-on.

I do have questions about your answer to my second question, probably because I may have miss-stated what I want to do.

Using 3 coordinates as in my original example, as the sample size increases the Mean[samples] approaches {.333..., .333..., .333...}.  This makes sense as the Mean of the indexes of the population from which I sample would give us the same list of coordinates.

But this point may or may not correspond to the value of what I need to know.

I want to find the coordinates at each time increment of the weighted average of all samples with the weights in proportion to their performance or "values" in the time series data.  Wouldn't this point vary, over time, across the plane from which I select the samples (especially as in its projected application I'll have values for thousands of time increments and they may have far greater variance than my simple example)?  Also, it seems like it wouldn't have to correspond to any specific point in the list of samples.

I have a penchant for making things more complicated than necessary, but I think what I want differs from the Mean[samples].  Any insight much appreciated.