Re: Union slowdown when SameTest is specified

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101408] Re: Union slowdown when SameTest is specified
  • From: Jacob Siehler <jsiehler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 04:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the uniformly excellent replies.  I figured on overhead for
calling the function but that wasn't enough to explain what was going
on, which was pretty clearly (well, "clearly", based on more tests
than I put in my original post) an outright change in complexity.  In
hindsight the utility of using an ordering relation to make fast
sorting part of the Union algorithm makes perfect sense, and explains
the problem here to my satisfaction.  It would have been a long time
before I thought of that on my own.  Special kudos to Leonid for the
additional code and links.