Re: FullForm of Plot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101476] Re: FullForm of Plot?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:11:16 -0400 (EDT)

dsmithy wrote:
> I know this is kind of a technical question, but I'd like to have a
> clearer understanding of this if someone is willing to help. A Plot
> expression Plot[f,List[x,xmin,xmax]] itself appears to be in FullForm.
> Yet, its FullForm is actually a Graphics expression. I understand that
> all graphics in Mathematica have the FullForm head Graphics (or
> Graphics3D), and that apparently curved plots (like Sin) are actually
> groupings of graphics primitives (Lines). But my question is, if the
> FullForm of a Plot expression is actually Graphics[List[Line
> [...],...] ], then what Mathematica *form* are Plot expressions
> themselves considered to be in (if not FullForm)?
> Thanks

Well this is certainly the right place to ask technical questions :)

The point is that an expression written out in FullForm can still
evaluate to something else. If you write

<expression> //FullForm

the expression will be evaluated and the result displayed in FullForm.

To see the FullForm of the original expression, try:

<expression> //Hold //FullForm

ignoring the extra layer of Hold[...] wrapped round the result.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk