Re: ColorFunction and question about how to use it

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101686] Re: ColorFunction and question about how to use it
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:36:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David,

Replace the "->" in your Function definition with a comma and you're
fine. The second surface is blue because that's how the default
lighting appears on the surface you've drawing.

As to your third question: something like the following is probably
what you described.

f[x_, y_] = Sin[x y];
g[x_, y_] = D[f[x, y], x]^2 + D[f[x, y], y]^2;
\[Epsilon] = 0.1;
cf[c_] := \[Piecewise] {
   {{Opacity[1], Red}, 0 <= c <= \[Epsilon]},
   {{Opacity[0.3], Gray}, c > \[Epsilon]}
  }
Plot3D[f[x, y], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
  ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, cf[g[x, y]]],
 PlotPoints -> 100]

Cheers -- Sjoerd