Re: best way to save 3D plot as .eps for latex document?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101879] Re: best way to save 3D plot as .eps for latex document?
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:20:15 -0400 (EDT)

summer wrote:

> I have to put a 3D Mathematica plot in a latex document so I save the
> plot by right clicking it and saving as .eps. The problem is that if I
> save as vector graphics the file is 14MB, if I save as BMP inside the
> eps, the file is 2MB still too big and it takes too much time each
> time I'm recompiling the file.
>
> Is there a way to efficiently save the plot as .eps so that
> 1. the file is small
> 2. quality is still acceptable
> 3. recompiling the latex is fast
>
> What are the necessery steps/settings that work best for that?

The best (?) way I found is to use "PrintSelection" and to print it into
a .pdf file. Then take a Graphics Program (on my Mac I use
GraphicsConverter for this) and save it as a .eps. This gives good
looking graphics of very moderate size.

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de