Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101934] Re: [mg101912] Re: [mg101885] Re: Thoughts on a Wolfram|Alpha package
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 03:57:00 -0400 (EDT)

I am very happy to read these comments.

First, I have David Reiss's "A WorkLife Framework", not David Park's
"Presentations" package, at least not yet.

I have noticed that both these add-ons are usually ready with updates
at the same time that new versions of Mathematica come out. My
negative comments were not directed at these apps.

Parenthetically, you have (or will shortly have) made a sale. It
appears that I cannot get my colleagues to install the free player
app, so any hopes of building an in-house user base was just a
fantasy. I end up sending them PDFs of notebooks, or converting the
interactive graphics into Quicktime. Life is too short to try to re-
invent the wheel when you have done the job so elegantly.

Your comments on trustworthiness of the code (without WRI's vetting)
is to the point. However, WRI is not doing anyone any favors by not
updating the software that they badge (even if it is not written by
them) in a timely manner. My bad experience has made me very wary. And
you are right about the cost. I did not have to pay for the packages I
got through Wolfram, but they seemed to be overpriced for what they
delivered. In most cases, their use were justifiable when they saved
me enough time, but not when the useful life of the software was
shortened by incompatibilities with new versions of Mathematica.

I am 'glad' to learn that other people have problems with Workbench.
(Not really schadenfreude since I feel the pain as well.) I thought it
might have been just me, coming from a mac background and expecting
some sort of elegance in the tools. The documentation is poor, I get
incomplete or un-useful answers for tech support about Workbench, and
the operation of the program is a kludge.

Were it not for the fact that I really want to make decent Version 7-
style documentation, I'd roll the packages by hand. Making a package
hasn't changed that much since version 2 so I can use Roman Maeder's
excellent books.

I think that documentation building is a major problem. I am awaiting
the release of the new version of mathStatica. This is a book/software
combo. If the comments on the website can be trusted, the main
sticking point is the documentation. Based on my brief exposure to
trying to trying to document a much simpler package, I can understand
this.

I am sure that internal to WRI there are any number of cheat-sheets
that let people write the documentation. It would be great to expose
this information to the users.

So, the upshot to all this is that anything worth charging money for
needs proper documentation, and there are great advantages to using
the version 6/7 help system. However, the threshold to making this
documentation is so high that it simply may not be worth it.

That, I think, is a critical issue. It is one thing to make a package
for one's own use. Once one gets beyond a certain level of
sophistication with Mathematica, this type of activity is inevitable.
However, if one wants to share the work -- for free or not -- then
having decent documentation and having an easy way to update software
is essential. If these steps take too long, then the cost of
development of a 'shrink-wrapped' package would be prohibitive.

george woodrow