Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101930] Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 03:56:15 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/22/09 at 6:22 AM, ibmichuco at hotmail.com wrote:

>Is there a way to use Show inside a Do loop? For example, the
>following doesn't work:

>Do[
>Print["i =",i]; Fig = Plot[Sin[i*x], {x, -5, 5}]; Show[Fig] , {i, 1,
>5}]

>I would like to print different info at each step of the loop,
>therefore saving all Fig in a Table or Array doesn't help me.

I really don't know why Show doesn't work in the manner you were
expecting. But simply changing Show to Print looks like it does
what you want. i.e.,

Do[Print["i =", i];
  Fig = Plot[Sin[i*x], {x, -5, 5}];
  Print[Fig], {i, 1, 5}]

I also don't understand why you think Table won't do. On my machine

Table[Print["i =", n]; Print@Plot[Sin[n x], {x, -5, 5}], {n, 5}];

Produces exactly the same output as the Do loop with Print and
seems to execute faster.