Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102013] Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 03:56:52 -0400 (EDT)

In article <h4eeul$spv$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net> wrote:  (emphasis added)

> _On the other hand, Show does not generally generate a cell._
>
> Of course, it is easier to just apply Print to the Show or Plot statements.
> So it is possible to make Show generate output cells, but it _normally_
> doesn't do so. It normally only generates expressions, which because of its
> special behavior a Do statement does not display.

1)  Re your statements above: executing a single Input cell containing
just

   Show[ Graphics[ Circle[ {0, 0}, 1] ] ]

certainly generates an Output cell containing what looks like a
"graphic" or "plot" to me.

Is executing a cell containing a simple expression somehow an "abnormal"
process or action?

2)  On a more general note:  Suppose you have an expression which
contains an explicit symbol x , such that if you execute three
consecutive cells containing

   x=1; expr
   x=2; expr
   x=3; expr

or maybe

   expr/.x->1
   expr/.x->2
   expr/.x->3

you get three output cells containing three successive instances of expr
(whatever that is) -- or appropriate error messages if executing expr
one of those times has some side effect that messes up a subsequent
execution.

Would it not be reasonable to expect a cell containing

   Do[ expr, {x,1,3} ]

to do _exactly_ the same thing?

In other words, would it not be reasonable -- consistent -- sensible --
helpful -- the most useful -- to expect Do[ ] to be simply a "wrapper"
that functioned in exactly that manner?

I appreciate that Mathematica's Do[] apparently doesn't function that
way -- or functions that way sometimes, based on mysterious criteria,
but not other times; and suggest that this is not helpful or useful or
consistent behavior for many users.

Are there any fundamental reasons why a DoConsistently[ ] command could
not be defined, such that DoConsistently[ expr, iterator ]  would
repeatedly put expr into a cell with each iterator instance applied to
it, and churn out the sequential outputs?  That, it seems to me, is what
many users would want and expect.