Re: String as a variable name

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg100325] Re: String as a variable name
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

On May 31, 1:31 pm, "A. B." <functionalcoatings at> wrote:
> I found it: I forgot to wrap Evaluate around the assignment. This works:
> Symbol["variable"<>"1"]//Evaluate=10

This is not going to work if variable1 already has a value.  Because
of how Mathematica evaluates expressions, the only way around this is
using the third argument of ToExpression:

assignToName[name_String, value_] :=
 ToExpression[name, InputForm, Function[var, var = value, HoldAll]]

Assign 1 to variable1

assignToName["variable" <> "1", 1]

However, whenever one feels the need to use something like this, it's
worth thinking over if variable[1] = 1 would work in its stead.  It's
simpler and safer.