Re: RandomReal gets stuck

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100387] Re: RandomReal gets stuck
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:45:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 1, 2:11 pm, Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I agree many people including myself depend on the random
> functions to be random. And I would also like Mathematica to
> fail gracefully when given non-sensical input and provide useful
> error messages. But I am never surprised when software does
> something other than fail gracefully given non-sensical input or
> provides less than useful error messages.

This was perfectly good input.  There is nothing wrong with it.  It
asks the minimum of the sum of 31 variables (which of course does not
exist, but this doesn't mean that the question is mathematically
incorrect, or that the input is syntactically wrong).

However, the validity of this input has absolutely nothing to do with
the seriousness of this bug.  This is the kind of bug that is very
hard to forgive because it's completely unexpected.