Re: difference between HeavisidePi and UnitBox

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100364] Re: difference between HeavisidePi and UnitBox
  • From: Anatoly <anatoly.bourov at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:41:28 -0400 (EDT)

I understand that it doesn't matter.  There's even some discussion
here about it http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RectangleFunction.html

My question is regarding "The piecewise version of the rectangle
function is implemented in Mathematica as UnitBox[x], while the
generalized function version is implemented as HeavisidePi[x]."

why do we need both?  I find the integral transforms (I use mostly
FourierTransform) actually work much better with the piecewise UnitBox
for 5-bar patterns that I like to use.

Does anyone have a thorough explanation of when generalized functions
are better than piecewise and vice versa?

-Anatoly