Re: mathematica tutor for NYC high school student

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100564] Re: mathematica tutor for NYC high school student
  • From: "VMCM1905" <VMCM1905 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 02:06:18 -0400 (EDT)

<hlalvani at aol.com> wrote in message news:h0fvja$ra0$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hello
>
> We are wondering if you can help us with this.
>
> We live in Manhattan (NYC) and are seriously considering withdrawing
> our 15 yr old son (presently in 9th grade) from the school system and
> give him homeschooling that is creative, adventurous and
> non-competing.

2 out of three is good. He will need some competitiveness, it will help
drive him.
The more you son learns, the more confidence he will attain.
Home schooling is good for some things, but terrible for others.
Try instead to get your child into a better school district. If money is
tight or that option is not available, the supplement his education
yourself.
Go to a nearby university and ask a professor there if he may audit a
course. Most professors will be glad to accept him if he will not cause
trouble.

> Naturally, for Math we are thinking of Mathematica so all his high
> school
> math curriculum can be done visually but with mathematical rigor.

Depending on the level he is at, shelve Mathematica for a while. Let him
grind the math by hand. Some explorations are augmented by mathmatica,
but only in later stages after one has learned the fundamentals.
You don't want him to be someone who has to "go to the computer" when it
comes time to integrate and simplify an expression.

> Question: Do you know some group/program/person in NYC so we can find
> Mathematica tutor for our son so he gets excited about the
> inherent beauty of Math and covers the basic knowledge he needs ?

Your son needs to attain the exitement of math through his expereince
with people that he innitiates. Don't rely on others to "get him
exited."
The best thing you can do is expose him to math indirectly. Talk with
him about your experiences with math. Get lots of good PBS and discovery
channel programs on math and science.

> He needs to cover Geometry, Trig, Algebra and Calculus at the high
> school level (grades 9-12).
>
> It is a long shot, but I am placed in Architecture and need to look
> outside my field for guidance. So the web becomes my first stop. At
> some point I will walk over to Courant Inst and see if they can help.
>
> Best regards
>
> Prof. H. Lalvani, PhD

If you are a prof at a university or college, you can have your son
audit courses.