Out of memory errors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100582] Out of memory errors
  • From: Weldon MacDonald <weldon.mac at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 03:05:48 -0400 (EDT)

I'm operating on some largish problems in which I'm making a graph,
using MakeGraph from the Combinatorica package. When I exceed a
certain size, the thing runs for a bit and then gives an out of memory
error and then the kernel shuts down. I'm running Vista on a dual core
with 3Gb of RAM.
I've tracked down the problem, I think. Mathematica runs the operation
in RAM, when it exceeds the on board RAM, it shuts down. My question
is why doesn't it build a pagefile like most windows applications?
Then I could run anything that didn't actually use up the free disk
space.