Re: Re: performance // Re: Re: Why

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100606] Re: [mg100590] Re: [mg100559] performance // Re: [mg100548] Re: Why
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 03:55:14 -0400 (EDT)

Comparing apples to apples:

Clear[fn, fn1];
fn["This is my test function"][x_, y_] := x*y;
fn1[x_, y_] := x*y;
MapThread[
    fn["This is my test function"], {Range[100000],
     Range[100000]}]; // Timing
MapThread[fn1, {Range[100000], Range[100000]}]; // Timing

{0.11964, Null}

{0.108061, Null}

MapThread[
    fn["This is my test function"], {Range[100000],
     Range[100000]}]; // Timing
MapThread[fn1, {Range[100000], Range[100000]}]; // Timing

{0.108755, Null}

{0.11406, Null}

Or, as you see... no difference.

I'd never use f[##]&, when f is the same thing in less keystrokes (and
less time as well, apparently).

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com