differentiation operator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100645] differentiation operator
  • From: Chee Lim Cheung <CheeLC at sp.edu.sg>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 05:33:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All

My students have asked me whether it is possible to define the operator
df[x]/dx for differentiation rather than D[f[x],x]. The operator is
available in a palette but it does not seem to do anything other than for
display only.

Example: d/dx(x^2)=2x rather than D[x^2,x]=2x.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Mr. Chee