Re: "Parallelize" and Symbolic computation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg100636] Re: "Parallelize" and Symbolic computation
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 05:32:07 -0400 (EDT)

John Hattersley wrote:
> Hi All,
> I apologies if this is an idiotic question.  Essentially, I've a complex
> Taylor series expansion that keeps running out of memory and as I've
> upgraded to Mathematica 7 of late, and we've a few machines idling away, I
> was wondering if the parallel stuff could help.
> The documentation for Parallel Tools hints that it's only applicable for
> numeric problems, but doesn't state that symbolic is out of the question.
> At a recent Mathematica demo I went to recently it was suggested that the
> parallel architecture didn't exclude all symbolic calculations.  Has anyone
> seen any documentation on this?  Or have any experience of it?
> Thanks,
> JHatt
The parallelize mechanism in 7, works by starting extra kernels, that
can each do any calculation they want, but I can't quite see how that
will help you with your calculation.

It might be an idea to post the problem, because if there is a way round
your difficulty, someone here will suggest it!

Memory problems can be greatly eased by moving to a 64-bit architecture.
  Many modern computers are already 64-bit capable, and in that case,
all that is needed is to change to a 64-bit operating system and
re-install Mathematica. However, I'd start by posting your actual
problem if possible.

David Bailey