Re: Slow/jerky animations inside manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100641] Re: [mg100616] Slow/jerky animations inside manipulate
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 05:33:03 -0400 (EDT)

What is the nature of your two plots? They must be 3D plots with a lot of
detail.

1) You could use the PerformanceGoal -> "Speed" option to speed up the
rendering while the slider is being moved.

2) You could try to simplify your plots. Note that the way to obtain
adequate detail is to use the MaxRecursion option and NOT increase the
PlotPoints. You may even be able to decrease the PlotPoints. To speed things
up you could use Mesh -> None, and don't use Opacity.

3) You could pre-compute a set of displays, display[i] 1 <= I <= n, and then
display them in a sequence with the slider. If most of the elements in the
plots are fixed you could pre-compute them.

4) Make certain you have the same PlotRange in all plots in the animation,
i.e., specify it explicitly. Letting Mathematica automatically determine the
PlotRange for each frame is the principal cause of jerkiness.

5) In some situations, because of the slowness, straight animation just
might not be the best solution to a presentation. You might be able to use
multiple plots and a much simplified animation that abstracts the relevant
change. Not every topic can be adequately or easily presented in a single
display.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Porscha Louise McRobbie [mailto:pmcrobbi at umich.edu]

Hello,

I am using Mathematica v. 6.0.2.1.

I have an Animate command (I'm using GraphicsRow to show two
side-by-side synchronized animations) inside of Manipulate. The
resulting animations play very fast and are jerky. I can adjust the
play speed using AnimationRate, but  it must be slowed down by a
ridiculous amount in order to look smooth. I've tried adjusting the
RefreshRate, as well as making time a slider variable and animating
from within the Manipulate control panel, both with little success.

How can I create smooth animations, appropriate for class demonstrations?

Many thanks for any help.