Re: Undocumented functions for working with graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100711] Re: Undocumented functions for working with graphics
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:41:37 -0400 (EDT)

HI,

Functions that are not documented are likely to be ephemeral, or to be
ones that may have their specifications/design changed without
notice.

If they do not have a usage message then they are not likely to be
documented anywhere.  However, you can try to look in code that uses
them to reverse engineer how they are called.  The rest simply
requires experimentation.

Here is one way to go about this reverse engineering....

If the given function has the attribute ReadProtected, then it
generally will be something that is written in top level Mathematica
code.  So, if you Unprotect that function and then remove the
ReadProtected  attrubute, you can then see the function's Mathematica
code by executing

??functionname

>From the code thus exhibited this will also give you a sense of how
the function is called and how it is likely to work.

I hope this helps a bit...

--David
http://scientificarts.com/worklife