Combined Set, SetDelayed

Hi,

This may be a silly question but I have not found an answer to it yet
in the Documentation Centre.

In dynamic programming the following construct

is used, unless I am mistaken.

I'd like to know if there are other situations where we must write a
function definition in the above format.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards.

Sid.