Re: Correction to "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and Mathematica"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100766] Re: Correction to "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and Mathematica"
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:03:59 -0400 (EDT)

Len wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I define a function (using f[x_]:=) as the definite integral (from 0
> to x) of sin(t^2).  When I differentiate using Mathematica I get the
> correct answer of sin(x^2).
>
> But when I define a function (using g[x_]:=) as the definite integral
> (from 0 to x) of e^(-t^2) and differentiate, I get the incorrect
> answer of 0.  (The correct answer is e^(-x^2).)
>
> Why the inconsistency?
>
> Oddly, if I define the function g above using "=" instead of ":=", all
> works well.
>
> Can someone explain the odd behavior?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Len

My guess is that you had been doing things with Mathematica prior to
that, and as a result, g had some sort of definition. If the problem
happens again, try typing

??g

If you get a strange result, it is often useful to kill the kernel so
that you start with a clean slate.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk