Re: weird escaping problem with StringPattern inside Module[]

I would use a RegularExpression, which is not relying on any variables.
But, staying in your approach, this works as you expect:

getWeather[inputStr_String]:=
Module[{parseVars,parsePattern,abc,def},
parseVars={abc,def};
parsePattern="the "~~
    Pattern[Evaluate[parseVars[[1]]],BlankSequence[]]~~
    " in "~~
    Pattern[Evaluate[parseVars[[2]]],BlankSequence[]]~~
    " stays mainly" ->
        parseVars;
Print["patt=",parsePattern];
Flatten@StringCases[inputStr,parsePattern]
]

It is not very clean, but I hope it may help.

ADL