Hypergeometric2F1 gives wrong complex infinities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100868] Hypergeometric2F1 gives wrong complex infinities
  • From: Wieland Brendel <wielandbrendel at gmx.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:54:26 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all!
I currently have a problem with the hypergeometric function: Consider

Hypergeometric2F1[1, I, I + 1, -Exp[a]]

Whenever I set a > 36 I only get "complex infinity" as a result although
it should be perfectly finite (take 10 as a scale). Is there any way to
expand the range of a to higher values?

I would be very thankful for a solution! A big thanks in advance and
best greetings from germany!

Wieland Brendel

PS: I use Mathematica 7.