Re: How to use R within Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100870] Re: How to use R within Mathematica
  • From: Erich Neuwirth <erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:54:48 -0400 (EDT)

Some more remarks.

> myR = CreateCOMObject["StatConnectorSrv.StatConnector"]
There is a foreground server and a background server.
For the foreground server you have to have a running RGui (or RTerm)
with library rcom loaded.
Then
>> myR = CreateCOMObject["RCOMServerLib.StatConnector"]
will allow you to "talk" to RGui from Mathematica and then switch
windows and work within RGui.
What you are doing gives you a background server.
You cannot access this server except from Mathematica.
There is no RGui "backdoor", which is very useful for debugging.

I am still fixing a few loose ends before this will go public.
BTW: I already can get R graphics into Mathematica, and they are
embedded like Mathematica graphics.

So far, I found no reasonable vector graphics format which R can write
and Mathematica can Import. Any suggestions to that respect?