Using fractions in axis labels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101078] Using fractions in axis labels
  • From: Jeff Lawlis <jlawlis at allendalecolumbia.org>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:07:22 -0400 (EDT)

I can't seem to get my axis labels formatted correctly in Mathematica 7.  I would like to have a string expression followed by a fraction in parentheses, but the string expression appears in the numerator, instead of in front of the fraction.  Here is my expression for SetOptions:

SetOptions[ListLinePlot,AxesLabel -> {"Wavelength (\[Mu]m)",
  Solar Irradiance \!\(
     "W" \/ "\!\(\*SuperscriptBox[\"m\", \"2\"]\)\[Mu]m"\)}]

I have also tried the frontend graphics interface to enter fractions, with the same result.

Best regards,
Jeff