Re: For loops with mathematica....

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg101125] Re: [mg101069] For loops with mathematica....
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:36:02 -0400 (EDT)

It would help if you could give us more of a specific simple example.

If you are completely new to Mathematica you probably have to build up from
simpler problems.

If you look at Table you will see that in one form you can specify a
specific list of iterator values: {i,{20,200,300}} gives those three values.

You might want to write a function with parameters that uses a Module to
build up a calculation. For example, maybe something like this is what you

f[p1_, p2_][i_] :=
  work = i + p1;
  work^2 + p2]

Table[f[1, 2][i], {i, {20, 200, 300}}]
{443, 40403, 90603}

David Park
djmpark at

From: Julien [mailto:jderr at]

Hey guys,

I am totally new to mathematica.
I want to use a simple loop for but with many arguments in the loop...
the help says to do

Do[ thingstodo, {i,8}]

i will go from 1 to 8 to do thingstodo.

First question: what if I want i to go from 20 then 200 then 300 then 400,
(can we give a sequence as argument?)

Second question: I have a lot of line to do in things to do. should I
separate everything with a ; (doesn t seem to work, or use a procedure or

THanks a lot for your help!!!