Re: Points In/Out in 3D shapes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101206] Re: Points In/Out in 3D shapes
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 06:54:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

if your shaped object is an implicit function like
x^2+y^2+z^2-1  for a sphere of radius 1 than the sign
of this implicit function serve as inside/ outside indicator.
If you object is build up from tetrahedrons you mist check if
the point is in one of the tetrahedrons.
If you have just the surface of the 3d object you must
split the object into tetrahedrons first.

Regards
   Jens