Re: display of graphics primitives

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg101275] Re: display of graphics primitives
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:31:58 -0400 (EDT)

dsmithy wrote:
> Why do you have to place graphics primitives in the Graphics[ ]
> expression in order for them to be displayed graphically? Why doesn't,
> for example, Circle[ ] display as a graphic in StandardForm? Why must
> it be Graphics[Circle[ ]]?
> Thank you.
I think the real point here is that primitives are not really much use,
except in combination - I mean suppose you output a circle at
coordinates (3,4) what does that mean if you don't have other
primitives, each with their own coordinates?

If Circle[...] displayed as a circle, it would actually be a hindrance
because you could not examine graphics expressions except in InputForm.
It is often handy to take a graphics object g (say) and display its
contents, e.g. by executing

David Bailey