Do Hershey Vector Fonts exist in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96983] Do Hershey Vector Fonts exist in Mathematica?
  • From: hayes.tyler at gmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 04:54:51 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone:

Just wondering if the Hershey Vector Fonts (in particular the SIMPLEX
Roman ones) are available for use with Mathematica. I know, they are
ugly, primitive looking etc., however, I'm not ashamed to admit I love
the look of them for text on plots. Can't explain it really. Perhaps
it's because I was used to using them with old school plotting calls
from Fortran using DISLIN and have grown rather fond of them. If you
do not know what they look like, they are posted here:

http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/idl_html_help/Hershey_Vector_Font_Samples.html

Currently I've defaulted my fonts in graphics to Courier as a
compromise, but still, I wonder if I could ever use those fonts
again....

Nothing serious, just missing my old fonts and hoping they might be
able to be installed and used. For what it's worth I am using a Linux
Kubuntu 8.04 box.

Cheers,

t.