Re: "Do What I Mean" - a suggestion for improving Mathematica experience

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96997] Re: "Do What I Mean" - a suggestion for improving Mathematica experience
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 04:57:31 -0500 (EST)

David Bakin wrote:
> A few days ago I posted that Mathematica should have a "DWIM" feature - "Do
> What I Mean".
>
> In InterLisp, in the 80's, the DWIM facility was hooked into error messages,
> and when invoked on a user error would poke around on the stack and in the
> environment using some rules to describe common error situations and it
> would uncover user errors and offer to correct them.  Many of the errors
> were simple spelling errors and it would correct a misspelled variable name
> if it found an unbound variable but a similarly spelled variable was bound
> in the environment.
>
> Mathematica could benefit from this, and in fact, we at mathgroup could
> supply the rules (and framework) as a useful group project.
>
> If some guru would write the framework - trapping error messages somehow,
> perhaps when they were written to the $Messages channel (by replacing the
> default $Messages channel with something that would hook into the DWIM
> function), or perhaps with some other hook like redefining Message[] - then
> the rest of us could supply rules for the common errors.  Especially the
> common errors we see puzzling Mathematica newbies on this list.
>
> I would suggest that the rules provide messages, hopefully with hyperlinks
> to the documentation.
>
> A true DWIM might also offer to rewrite the current expression and try it
> again, but I don't know if that can be done given the hooks into Mathematica
> that are currently available.
>
> Some situations that could be addressed are:
>
> 1.  User writes "xy" instead of "x y".  Rule could inspect the expression
> under evaluation and find (unevaluated) symbols like "xy" of the form
> used in the expression or symbols bound in the environment.  Rule would
> explain the problem and offer to rewrite expression and try again.
>
> 2.  Some expression using a user-defined function causes an error when
> evaluating, or doesn't evaluate.  Looking at the function, a rule finds
> function calls where the function arguments' patterns include "_Integer" or
> similar but the arguments given to it are not integers.  Rule points to
> documentation describing argument types required by the called function.
>
> 3.  Similar to 2 above, but it finds function calls that do numeric
> evaluation only or are optimized for numeric evaluation but the arguments
> given to it are symbolic.
>
> 4.  Result returned is machine precision very close to zero (that is,
> with large negative exponent), but an error message complained of
> singularity, or other ill-conditioning.  Rule points to documentation
> explaining about machine precision, and/or singularity, and offers to retry
> the expression with more digits of precision, rewriting the expression to
> achieve this.
>
> Actually, now that I think of it, the DWIM facility needs also to be invoked
> by the user because some of these situations don't cause error messages, but
> [...]
Wow - that sounds a very challenging project! I wonder if it would be
better to start with a slightly more modest idea, and write a CommentOn
function that would have attribute HoldFirst, and take any expression as
an argument, and apply as many heuristics as possible, looking for
possible mistakes - such as your xy example.

Another such function might be WhyNoMatch that would take a function
call and attempt to explain why it did not match the definition. The
problem is, I suspect beginners write arguments as x_ rather than
x_Integer - but having said that, they sometimes write them as x - which
can waste a lot of time.

As it happens, I have just released an experimental debugger (see my
post of the other day). I guess that could look for certain things going
wrong - such as the problem you cite of a numeric routine ending up
doing a symbolic calculation.

I think the real challenge might be to raise the success rate high
enough that people felt it was worth running the code.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk