Huge memory consumption of GIF.exe

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97053] Huge memory consumption of GIF.exe
  • From: andreas.kohlmajer at gmx.de
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:10:40 -0500 (EST)

Hello!

I have difficulties with high memory consumption of GIF.exe. I need to
statistically evaluate a few million SQL-recordsets (grouped by a few
thousand batches). After calculating the data, I also create some
little GIF-images as a visual aid. So far, I have generated approx.
2000 images using Export[..., "...GIF"] (average image size approx.
120 kB) and GIF.exe now consumes approx. 1 GB of RAM. The Mathematica
code is a loop (using some Block constructs); all intermediate
variables are cleared (using Clear[...]) at the end of the loop.

It seems, that GIF.exe does not deallocate the used memory. Is there
any way to deallocate the memory used by GIF.exe? The Mathematica
front end has crashed after 4 hours and I still need to evaluate a few
hundred batches.

Thanks for any help!