Re: Head logic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97076] Re: [mg97033] Head logic
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:15:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi Carlos,

The reason is that Equal tests for equality by value, not syntactic
equality.
And symbols generally have no value, otherwise they would evaluate to that
value.
On two symbols, for which there is no rule built in the system (or added by
the user)
telling Mathematica  that they should be considered equal, Equal (==) will
return
 unevaluated, which is correct because they are neither necessarily equal
nor necessarily
different.   Use SameQ (===) for syntactic comparison instead of Equal, and
you will get
what you want. Alternatively, use TrueQ[lhs==rhs] - this will force
Mathematica to give
False whenever the result does not evaluate to True.  However, for the case
at hand the
first method (SameQ) seems more appropriate.

Regards,
Leonid