Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97260] Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments
  • From: ADL <alberto.dilullo at tiscali.it>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 01:07:17 -0500 (EST)

Maris Ozols has made a practical suggestion, which SHOULD be discussed
further about the possibility to really implement it.

Other comments are, to me, difficult to understand. Just a few
examples:

1) genuine bugs (in the interface or wherever, where they can be
clearly identified as such) should be fixed by Wolfram as soon as
possible and free.

2) If Mathematica intended application is only teaching, ok. I thought
it could be used also for active and serious engineering and
scientific efforts. If I misunderstood, I am sorry, but probably
that's why I am asking for something better.

3) All the previous comparing to PowerPoint and Money is frankly
difficult to understand, a part from being a smart artifact to lead
the discussion astray.

I understand that criticism is hurting to people who are genuinely
putting all their efforts to make Mathematica big and beautiful. This
is not (at least by me) under discussion. What is under discussion is
the overall direction. I continue thinking that the direction
undertaken by Mathematica developers is leading to a niche product
without much practical relevance.

ADL