Re: Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97233] Re: [mg97205] Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 01:02:14 -0500 (EST)

Is there some installation instructions I missed that tell you the 7.0.1
installer will uninstall 7.0.0?  If so, where?

I didn't see such, so I did the same thing I always do when such a minor
update arrives: first uninstall the old version and then install the new
version.  (With a major version change, of course, I leave the old
version installed until I can migrate everything affected.)

One of my biggest complaints about software in general is how seldom
there is up-front information on how to handle an update/upgrade: you
must uninstall the old version first; you may uninstall the old version
first; you should NOT uninstall the old version first; the installer
will automatically uninstall the old version first; the installer will
not uninstall the old version first; the installer will give you the
option of uninstalling the old version first.

Considering how often many software products come out with updates, new
releases, upgrades, etc., and how much effort is often devoted to
pushing and selling such new versions, it remains amazing to me at how
inattentive so many software publishers are at dealing with this
so-obvious matter.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305