Re: Careless use of Scaled leads to hard crash in V7

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg97306] Re: [mg97219] Careless use of Scaled leads to hard crash in V7
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:37:26 -0500 (EST)

Yup. "7.0 for Linux x86 (32-bit) (November 11, 2008)" gives nothing (an output line, but nothing there, and I can do other calculations on other lines). BUT clicking on the blank output line shows the error (caught by starting Mathematica from the command line) of:

"Mathematica has detected a possible internal error. If possible, please report the error to support at, quoting "Assertion 'lines != __null' failed at LineWrapBox.c:1467", and describe in as much detail as possible what you were doing when the error occurred."

with the processor stuck at around 80% and the memory slowly filling up.

On Sunday 08 March 2009 04:52:52 am JUN wrote:
> Hi,
> I just saw a crash in Mathematica V 7 on Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard. The
> program (reproducibly) "quits unexpectedly" after doing the following:
> 1)
> Evaluate
> Graphics3D[{Arrowheads[Scaled[.05]], Arrow[Tube[{{0, 0, 0}, {1, 0,
> 0}}, Scaled[.05]]]}]
> 2)
> Use arrow keys to go back to previous input cell and try to delete the
> occurrence of Scaled[.05] in Arrowheads, replacing it with .1 or some
> other value. You may not even get this far, the crash sometimes
> happens earlier.
> 3)
> Repeat steps 1 and 2 if necessary.
> There briefly is an "Internal Self Test Error" message before the
> crash wipes Mathematica off the screen.
> This is not exactly the most pleasant way of learning that Scaled
> lengths can't be used inside Arrowhead.
> I wonder if this crash also happens on other platforms.
> Jens

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10