Notebooks that auto-execute when opened? -- SOLVED (I think)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97377] Notebooks that auto-execute when opened? -- SOLVED (I think)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 02:17:45 -0500 (EST)

In an earlier message I asked:

   > Possible to set an option for a notebook such that it automatically
   > executes when opened, that is, when the nb icon is dbl-clicked
   > or the file is otherwise opened in the OS being used?

and mike.honeychurch at gmail.com very helpfully replied (lightly edited):

   Yes -- for example, make a notebook like

      SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
          InitializationCellWarning -> False,
          InitializationCellEvaluation -> True]

         Plot[ {x,x^2,x^3}, {x,0,1}, PlotStyle->Thick]

   Then make all these cells initialization cells and the notebook
   will evaluate when you open it.

   Mike

So I tried this, and it worked exactly as I desired -- except that
despite the "InitializationCellWarning->False" entry in the above,
this notebook insisted on making me respond to a warning dialog
before it executed.

So, I looked at the Help message for this option, and got (again,
lightly edited for brevity):

   InitializationCellWarning
   is an option for notebooks that specifies whether a warning
   should be given when a notebook containing initialization cells
   is opened.

   ** This function has not been fully integrated into the long-term
   Mathematica system, and is subject to change.  **

   With the default setting InitializationCellWarning->True, a warning
   in the form of a dialog box is given, asking the user to choose
   whether the initialization cells should be automatically evaluated.

   In order for the warning not to occur, this option must be set to
   False both in the notebook being opened _and at the global level_.
   [my emphasis].  This is a security feature to prevent a notebook
   from silently evaluating cells without the user¹s knowledge, unless
   the user has specifically enabled this by setting the option to False
   at the global level.

So, I went to Format >> Option Inspector >> Global >> Alphabetical and
discovered that this option was indeed there, and could be unclicked --
after which the "Execute when opened" function I wanted seems to work
exactly as desired (desired by me, anyway).

So, thanks again to Mike.