Re: Compatibility issue in Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97717] Re: Compatibility issue in Mathematica 7
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 02:13:26 -0500 (EST)

On 3/18/09 at 4:57 AM, danielelinaro at gmail.com (daniele) wrote:

>Hello everybody, I've been using Mathematica 6 for a while and now
>I'm about to purchase version 7: I was wondering whether it's
>possible, in the latest version, to save a notebook which can be
>subsequently opened (and edited) with version 6. To the best of my
>knowledge, this was not possible in version 6 (saving for, say,
>version 5) and it's something that has always buggered me quite a
>lot, because I often have the necessity to exchange notebooks with
>people who haven't the same version as me.

I have had no difficulty with my MacBook Pro (Intel processor)
other than getting a warning message which I simply ignore. And
I have done more than just open the notebook since my goal was
to edit it for usage by colleagues that have access to version 6
but not version 7.

But having said this, I have encountered some difficulty after
opening a notebook created in version 7 on my MacBook with
version 6 on a Windows based machine. Opening seemed to work OK
(getting the expected warning message). But attempts to edit the
message on the Windows machine caused Mathematica version 6 to
crash. I haven't yet taken time to determine what is causing the crash.