Re: Superscripts in post-processed plot labels

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg97703] Re: [mg97660] Superscripts in post-processed plot labels
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 02:10:52 -0500 (EST)

  Hi, David,

    Yeah, I normally use Epilog to do such annotations, but this was a one-off plot, so I tried the interactive way. I'll see what I can do (on Windows and Linux) later today, and report whether it's reproduceable.
     I absolutely prefer the programmatic way of labeling things; still, Wolfram should fix this!

                Best wishes,
                             Curtis O.

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 10:58:52 am David Park wrote:
> I don't notice that effect on Windows 32-bit Vista.
> What happens if you use Epilog and position the label with a Text statement?
> This might be better anyway because it leaves you with a complete written
> description of the graphics, that would be easier to modify later if
> necessary.
> David Park
> djmpark at
> From: Curtis Osterhoudt [mailto:cfo at]
> Howdy, all,
>    I'm not sure if this has been reported before, but adding text to a plot
> via the editor palette (ctrl-d on my installation, then double-click on the
> plot, and add text containing superscripts) pushes the thing the superscript
> is attached to downward, so that the superscript stays level with the
> surrounding text. This effect persists upon exporting the graphic to a .pdf.
>      For example, if I were to put an equation such as "x^2" ( where the
> exponent is properly superscripted) on a plot, the "x" is pushed below the
> level it should be and the "2" aligns with the surrounding text.
>      This is on "7.0 for Linux x86 (32-bit) (November 11, 2008)",
> incidentally.
>                  Regards,
>                      C.O.

Curtis Osterhoudt