utterly confused by Lightweight Grid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97775] utterly confused by Lightweight Grid
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 05:18:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I read the announcement about the new gridMathematica stuff. As a
premier licensee I got to download the Lightweight Grid Manager for
free.  Cool! The documentation and the announcement were a bit
confusing as to what precisely I could do with it, but it seemed that
I would be able to run parallel calculations on my computers running
v7. So, I downloaded a PC and mac version of the Lightweight Grid
Manager and installed it on a mac and two PCs. One PC and the mac are
laptops which connect by WLAN, the other PC is wired into the LAN.

Using the web browser interface I could interact with all three
machines. So, networking seemed to be OK. The PCs can share files and
ping ok. Lightweight Grid is enabled. In Mathematica's Parallel kernel
configuration I can see two of the three servers, one PC and one mac.
The other PC remains hidden even after switching off all firewalls.
And again, the web interface runs fine, therefore I don't think that
was a factor after all.

I did not suceeded in launching any remote kernel. ParallelEvaluate
[$MachineName] returns {}.

Anyone else done some testing? Is my interpretation of Lightweight
Grid Manager's functionality mistaken and do I need some additional
stuff like the Grid server?

Cheers -- Sjoerd