Re: Question about how to graph the vector field for the differential

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97862] Re: Question about how to graph the vector field for the differential
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 05:30:28 -0500 (EST)

I have the feeling you're looking for the wrong type of plot. Your
differential equation yields a family of funtions of x and these can
be plotted simply by using Plot.

First, solve the differntial equation:

In[20]:= DSolve[y'[x] == 2 x - y[x], y[x], x]

Out[20]= {{y[x] -> 2 (-1 + x) + E^-x C[1]}}

Then plot it for some values of the constant C[1]:

Plot[Table[2 (-1 + x) + E^-x c, {c, -10, 10, 5}] // Evaluate, {x, -1,
  5}, PlotRange -> All]

Cheers -- Sjoerd