Kernel is quitting on me

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97851] Kernel is quitting on me
  • From: Fernando Cucchietti <fernando.cucchietti at icfo.es>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 05:28:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I am testing a very long worksheet, and all the pieces seem to be
working (separately). When I use the loop that puts them all together,
the kernel quits after a few seconds (or at least, the equivalent of
the kernel quitting: everything goes undefined and in a weird color).
I've tried following the computation step by step and everything seems
normal until it just hangs. Also it seems to hang at different places
everytime, but that *could* be that I am testing with a different
random initial condition every time.
I=B4ve checked if it is memory usage, it shouldn't be since the
MaxMemoryUsed never goes above 15MB. I tried with $HistoryLength=0
just in case. The kernel in Debugger mode also just quits.
There is almost no symbolic manipulation either, just operations on
lists with numeric values.
I can't reproduce the error with simpler algorithms, and submitting
the whole worksheet for other to find a bug seems too much.

My question is then: What kind of things can cause this behavior?? I
have really no clue since there are no error or warning messages, just
an ugly quit. I would appreciate at any pointers to where can I start
looking at...

thanks in advance,
Fernando