Re: HoldAll for Integrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97978] Re: HoldAll for Integrate
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 05:33:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi Tammo,

what Integrate really does can only somebody from Wolfram explain. But

it completely eludes me why the integration variable in "Integrate" is

not localized. Maybe some can give a reason for this.

For the rest of us, we may define a new Integrate that does localize and

see if it creates troubles.

Here is a possibility, where we use Hold and Replace to protect the

variable by giving it another name:

SetAttributes[myInt, HoldAll];

myInt[integ_, {var_, low_, high_}] := Module[{integ0, var0},

   Integrate @@ (Hold[integ, {var, low, high}] /.

      HoldPattern[var] -> var0)

   ];

Here is another one using "With" to protect the integration variable:

SetAttributes[myInt, HoldAll];

myInt[integ_, {var_, low_, high_}] := With[{var = Unevaluated@var},

    Integrate[integ, {var, low, high}]];

Daniel