Re: Two versions on the same system

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98106] Re: Two versions on the same system
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 04:44:14 -0500 (EST)

On 3/29/09 at 2:44 AM, functionalcoatings at gmail.com (A. B.) wrote:

>Is it possible to run different versions of Mathematica on the same
>machine ? I noticed that there is only one user and one global
>folders where all preferences, etc. are stored. Aren't the
>preferences files for different versions likely to conflict or get
>corrupted ?

I've had no difficulty doing this with version 6 and version 7
on my Mac. Previously, I had done that with version 5 and
version 6. For the case of version 5 and 6, I modified the
init.m file in the Kernel directory to detect which version was
being launched and load different things accordingly. For
example, I had a function defined to return the path for the
working notebook automatically loaded in version 5 which is
replaced by NotebookDirectory in version 6 and 7.