Re: PlotLegend Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99279] Re: PlotLegend Question
  • From: Nicholas <physnick at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 05:55:02 -0400 (EDT)

On May 1, 5:22 am, "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McC... at umbc.edu> wrote:
> When I use PlotLegend the amount of space devoted to the line (red line,
> or whatever) in the legend is pretty small. In fact, when the line is
> dashed or dash-dotted, it is difficult to tell the difference. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
> Here is an example
>
> << PlotLegends`
> bs = {FontFamily -> "Arial", FontSize -> 14, FontWeight -> Bold};
> SetOptions[Plot,
>         Frame -> True,
>         FrameStyle -> AbsoluteThickness[2],
>         GridLines -> Automatic,
>         PlotStyle -> {{Red, AbsoluteThickness[2]}, {Black,
>       AbsoluteThickness[2]}, {Blue,
>       AbsoluteThickness[2]}, {Darker@Green, AbsoluteThickness[2]}},
>    BaseStyle -> bs
>    ];
> Plot[{Sin[x], Cos[x], Tan[x]}, {x, 0, 1},
>   PlotStyle -> {Directive[Blue, Thick],
>     Directive[Thick, Red, DotDashed], Directive[Thick, Green, Dotted]=
},
>   Background -> LightOrange, PlotLegend -> {"sin x", "cos x", "tan x"},
>   LegendPosition -> {-.6, 0.1},
>   LegendOrientation -> Vertical,
>   LegendBackground -> LightPurple,
>   LegendShadow -> {.02, -.02},
>   LegendSize -> {0.3, 0.35}, FrameLabel -> {"x", "trig functions"}
>   ]

I had the same problem yesterday.  I tried all variations of the
options mentioned in the Plot Legends Help, but to no avail.  Then I
realized that I could use ShowLegend to make my own legend with any
thickness/style I wanted, but this was freezing my machine.  It would
just crash my mathematica session.  However, I was in Linux and that
might have been the reason, I don't know if it is reproducible in
other operating systems.  Either way, you could use ShowLegend to
specify a legend, but I will be interested to see if anyone posts a
solution to the problem with the normal PlotLegend command.