Re: Control[], Manipulate, Why labels not showing?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99420] Re: [mg99364] Control[], Manipulate, Why labels not showing?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 05:43:18 -0400 (EDT)

An interesting question, and I don't know the answer, because I don't know
all the internal features of Manipulate. But I wouldn't go that way at all.
The specification of graphics and dynamic presentations are often a mass of
detail. It is generally not very productive to try to 'simplify' the Input
specifications. Rather, just hide them from the reader. I've posted a number
of examples of custom dynamic presentations, another one today. They are
textually longer, but much easier to control and lay out.

One might be able to write a definition for a custom presentation that
allows various sets of data or parameters in the same format. The routine
might be short and easy to use but the specification would still be long and
detailed.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Nasser Abbasi [mailto:nma at 12000.org]

This is Mathematica 7.0 on Windows

Here is 2 pieces of code, I thought these are equivalent. But the second one

shows the label on the control ok, while the first does not.

--- first-------------------------------
Manipulate[Style["test"],
Dynamic[c1],
Dynamic[c2],

  Initialization :> {
    c1 = Control[{{p1, 0, "p1"}, 0, 10, 1}],
    c2 = Control[{{p2, 0, "p2"}, 0, 10, 1}]}
]

--- second-------------------------------
Manipulate[Style["test"],
  Control[{{p1, 0, "p1"}, 0, 10, 1}],
  Control[{{p2, 0, "p2"}, 0, 10, 1}]
]

What I really want to do, is to define each control used by Manipulate to a
separate variable.

Then this will make it easier to layout the controls on the Manipulate by
just using the variable name (c1,c2,etc....) instead of typing the long
expression of the control itself.  So I could type something as Grid[
{{c1},{c2}}] for example, which will make it more clear.

Is there a better way to do the above than what I have (which does not seem
to really work). Where should I have define these variables if not in the
manipulate Initialization part?

Thanks,
--Nasser