Re: Diffusion Model using NDSolve - Advice needed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99437] Re: Diffusion Model using NDSolve - Advice needed
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 06:03:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

it is always better to give an example. E.g. you did not mention if your

diffusion problem is tome dependent or stationary.

In the following I assume that we have a time independent problem. I

further assume that your "slabs" differ in their diffusion constant.

DSolve and NDSolve will only yield continuous functions.

Consider the diffusion equation (d=diffusion "constant", T=Temp.):

d' T' + d T'' ==0

If d is not continuous we will have a problem with d'. Therefore, it is

better to introduce a narrow zone where d changes continuously.

Here is an example with 2 "slabs" with different diffusion constants

x1 = 0;

x2 = 1;

x3 = 1.01;

x4 = 2;

d[x_] = Piecewise[ {{0.1, x < x2}, {0.1 + 0.9 (x - x2)/(x3 - x2),

      x < x3}}, 1];

eq = {d[x] T''[x] + d'[x] T'[x] == 0,

    T[0] == 1,

    T[x4] == 0

    };

sol = T /. DSolve[eq, T, x][[1]];

Plot[sol[x], {x, 0, x4}]

Note that I used DSolve, not NDSolve. It is always better to get an

accurate solution if possible. Note what happens if I use NDSolve:

sol = T /. NDSolve[eq, T, {x, 0, x4}][[1]];

Plot[sol[x], {x, 0, x4}]

the solution is wrong! The numerical procedure missed the small zone

from x2..x3 and set d'==0 everywhere. We may fix this by e.g. using

MaxStepSize or playing with Accuracy or making the zone x2..x3 larger.

But still, you Solve if possible.

Daniel